Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sunburst panel in Banana

When I saw D3 for the first time, it was love at first sight. Being a relatively new developer, but fluent in imagining applications and use cases I immediately saw the possibilities. Kibana and eventually Banana made some these possibilities a reality by providing a standard system that you can run multiple visualizations on; along with all the bells and whistles of a search platform.

imageOne thing that impressed me in Kibana 4, but lacked in Banana was a sunburst panel that can take a pivot of facets and visually display it as a series of slices on a nested pie chart. So I got to work, learned some D3 and Javascript and (drum roll please) ... you voila. My first real JS/D3 code and an open source contribution. The sunburst panel parses nested facet output from Solr's facet pivot and creates a series of nested pie slices. Feel free to check out the pull request here, it should be included in the next release of Banana. 

image 1
I look forward to future enhancements in Solr to stretch my D3 expertise a bit more. Generating a chord diagram or Sankey would be cool, anyone got any bright ideas of how to store the data for something like that in Solr that would easily retrievable Banana style?












No comments:

Post a Comment